When I scoot home from work, I often pass by houses that place bundles or piles of discarded logs and brush from their yard work at the end of their driveways. Friday night, I saw a bunch of really decent piles of tied up wood that were enticing enough to drive back out in the middle of the night to go pick some up. It’s so satisfying to save things like that from going to waste.
This was only in motion because Julianne had asked me about a month ago to paint her some sticks like the ones I had at my old apartment (now in the loving care of one, Cesar Ramos). I can’t find any old pictures of those sticks…I’ll have to search.
Sunday morning I started my project(s). Since I had some decently sized mini logs, I cleaned them up and had Aaron help me chop off the ends so they’d stand up straight. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with them yet. Aaron also cut me some coaster-sized disks, so I played around with that idea but I only ended up liking one of designs. I finished Julianne’s sticks in coral+white+copper wire and gray wire+white+mint stripes.
It was a nice outside project weekend. On Saturday I sat out on the back patio and sketched some ideas out on paper and watched birds play in the trees. While sitting out there, I noticed some leftover woodcuts from Aaron’s palette planters still sitting around, so I used some to print a small stationery set. I printed with silver ink on different sheets of sample cotton paper I’ve been saving since school. I didn’t take any photographs of them though. It’s harder to make white paper look good, especially with my phone.